Newark Conservative Club Covid-19 update
New Restrictions effective 14th October 2020
I am writing to update you on the effect that the new Covid-19 Restrictions will have on you, the Members, and the way in which the Club operates in these difficult and ever-changing times.
First of all, I would like to re-assure you all that, in everything the Committee does in response to the pandemic, your health and safety is the priority.
As you will no doubt be aware Nottinghamshire has now been placed in the “high” tier and this means that we not only have to adhere to the existing “rules”, but we now have some additional restrictions placed upon us.
The new Restrictions with effect from Wednesday 14th October:
- You must not socialise with anybody outside of your household or support bubble in any indoor setting, whether at home or in a public place – pubs and restaurants are included.
- You must not socialise in a group of more than 6 outside.
You can read more detail at www.gov.uk/guidance/local-covid-alert-levels-what-you-need-to-know
Miles, the Committee and I have spent some time re-configuring the furniture in the Lounge to enable Members to sit in couples or “bubbles” or same household groups.
We have also tried to be inventive regarding our entertainment and food service. Whilst I acknowledge that this will mean some changes in the way we operate our Club activities I hope that, with your evident goodwill, co-operation and patience we can continue to operate in a way that ensures Members safety, compliance with the restrictions and above all maintains your enjoyment of the Club facilities.
A brief reminder of the current rules (the new restrictions are in addition to these):
- Frequent washing of hands with hand sanitiser at convenient points,
- No menus or condiments on the tables,
- A one-way system in the Lounge,
- No more than six people at a table
- Social distancing of at least 1 metre ideally 2 metres,
- Curfew at 10.00 pm. Your fob will not allow you entry after 9.30 pm.
- Face coverings are mandatory and to be worn in the Club when not seated at a table.
- Staff will also be required to wear a face covering when serving you.
- Table service is now compulsory.
- When you enter the Club, you must either sign in or use your phone app
- You may only sit and socialise in a group of no more than six at a table and may not socialise with people from other tables.
- In the Snooker Room face coverings must be worn when entering, leaving and moving around the premises unless you are seated, drinking or taking part in a game of snooker and you feel it would negatively affect your ability to play
Please remember: Do not enter the Club if you are experiencing any of the symptoms of Covid-19
How will these new restrictions affect the following?
The seating capacity of the Lounge will be around 30. Our ability to accommodate everyone will depend on how many Members attend the Club at any given time and what size the group is. We will monitor this aspect closely and may have to make some adjustments. I know most of you have a “favourite” seat. Please be flexible about where you sit so that we can accommodate others.
Quizzes – Sunday and Wednesday
The new rules will mean that you will not be able to participate in your usual teams. You will have to form a greater number of smaller teams of perhaps two or three people. Quiz teams may not span two or three tables.
Meat Draw – Friday
You will notice that most of the tables are small and will seat no more than two. Please be patient and flexible about where you sit. You will probably not be able to sit where you usually do. The Meat Draw and Play Your Cards Right and Kath’s Lottery will take place as usual.
We have been operating a system of booking table 1, 3 and 5 first. Unfortunately, the new restrictions mean that you will not be permitted to play with anyone other than a member of your own household or support bubble.
Are available on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday (except for entertainment nights) from 6-8 pm. You will only be able to share a table with members of your own household; however, you can still come and enjoy tasty food and a glass or two!
This will remain unchanged except for the seating arrangements – one household tables only.
is scheduled for Saturday 17th October with a basket meal for £5 at 6.00 pm. Tables will be for one household only. Miles will be serving a tasty supper and the Bingo will keep you entertained for the evening.
On Saturday 24th October Miles is holding a Greek/Mediterranean evening. Food will be served at 6. 00pm and costs £12.50 per person. Kim will entertain you with a variety of musical instruments and conversation.
This is scheduled for November 10th at 7.30 pm. We have already limited the number of attendees to 30 members. The method of their selection has been published in the A.G.M Notice. Again, Members will be asked to sit at tables probably on their own or if two Members are selected from the same household they may sit together.
The Committee and Miles are determined that as many Club activities as possible continue. They may have to be changed to comply with the new restrictions, but we can still enjoy them together at the Club. You have all been fantastic so far – now we need to ask for even more of your support to make this work.
Ruth Lockwood (Acting Chairwoman)