The Committee and I would like to take this opportunity to wish you all a very Happy New Year. We all hope that we will be able to celebrate the re-opening of the Club as soon as possible.
I also want to send a huge thank you to all of those Members – over half – who responded so positively to my appeal for Member subscriptions in the last Update. You are absolutely amazing sending subscriptions, cards, good wishes and donations. Not only have you given a boost to the Club in a financial way but you have signalled to all of us – the Committee, Miles and me – that you are out there, willing us to keep going and that you are waiting to return. Your support is priceless and gives us all the boost we need to carry on. Thank you.
Payment of Membership Fees
Membership fees are £37.00 per Member.
The cost of re-joining or for a new Member is £50.00
For those of you who have not yet paid 2021 subscriptions you can still do so by using one of the two methods below:
You may pay your fees either by BACS using the account details advised
or by posting a cheque made out to Newark Conservative Club Ltd at Belvedere, 29, London Road Newark NG24 1TN. Please ensure that Tony knows the name(s) and initial(s) of each Member for whom the payment is being made.
Tony will have your car park sticker behind the Bar in anticipation of your return. When we do re-open and for those of you who did not send in your Membership cards with your payment please place your card in the 2021 Subscription box on the Bar and Tony will update it for you.
Needless to say, the Committee has decided that we cannot progress Miles’s plans to celebrate a late Christmas. Our thanks go to Kath Lawson for removing all the Christmas decorations that she and Gaye Rollitt, with help from Tony and Martyn, put up prior to Christmas. Such a shame that no-one saw the trimmings but hopefully this year will be different.
Miles has continued undaunted and has lots of plans for when we re-open. So, watch this space and I am sure there will be something on offer to entice you back in. I will endeavour to keep you notified of what is going to be happening, however, it will be difficult to be precise until we have a date on which we are allowed to re-open.
The Intruder Alarm
This is one of the unexpected expenses that we have had to deal with recently whilst in lockdown. Chubb, with whom we have a contract, had to be called out to rectify a fault. On investigation we were advised that because the alarm system is about 30 years old it would be necessary to replace the panel, at a cost of nearly £1,000. No intruder alarm – no insurance cover, so we had no choice but to go ahead. The alarm is now up and running.
AGM – This essential event was postponed until 2021.Tony has sought advice and you will be advised about both the 2020 and 2021 AGM when the Committee has had an opportunity to consider that information. Until we are able to re-open and are made aware of the regulations governing the re – opening we cannot progress the matter.
Meat Draw Tickets – Please hang on to any meat draw tickets you had purchased prior to the lockdown. Put them somewhere safe as they will be drawn as soon as possible when we re-open.
I am pleased to report that our friends and fellow Members Beryl and Tony Parker were one of the first in Newark to receive the Covid-19 vaccination at Newark Showground. Well done to both of you and hopefully it won’t be too long before we all get the vaccine and life returns to some sort of normal.
On a lighter note. I don’t like to think of you all sitting there with nothing to do so I asked Ian Stonier, Committee Member to put a quiz together for us. A bit of fun nothing more. I will publish the answers in the next bulletin. How many will you get correct? Please remember the quiz master is always right.
The Committee and I look forward to your return to the Club and send you our very best wishes for a safe and healthy 2021
Hope to see you all again very soon.
Ruth, (Acting Chairwoman)
Alan, Darren, Ian, Kath, Mark, Sheila, Stuart, Vaughan (Committee)
PS If you want to contact the Committee please email at firstname.lastname@example.org or write to us at the Club address. We may be closed but we monitor both emails and post.
Ian’s Lockdown Quiz No.1
- Which character in “Goldfinger” wears a steel, razor- edged Bowler Hat?
- In the novel “Oliver Twist” who is Jack Dawkins?
- At which hotel were Major Gowan, Miss Tibbs and Miss Gatsby permanent residents?
- What is the capital of Finland?
- Who has won most University Boat Races?
- ANAGRAM – Nottinghamshire village – LONGMICHAL
- The food “spiced ham” was usually known by what name?
- What type of bean is used as a meat substitute?
- Which W is a jacket with no sleeves?
- The Americans call it “formula” what do we call it?
- What is the world’s oldest classic horse race?
- Which quote from a Shakespeare play could describe the end of 1978 and the beginning of 1979?
- Which is the only US State that starts with an A but does not end with an A?
- Do Olympic athletes run clock or anti – clockwise in track events?
- Cryptic clue – a chocolate sweet – Assemble the Puss
- In the song “Me and My Gal” which official is waiting for them?
- Bachelors Buttons are a variety of which wildflower?
- What is the second largest continent?
- Name the 3 Bronte sisters.
- Which commentator said, “The bowler is holding the batsman’s Willey”?
Answers in the next newsletter